Spay & Neuter
Spay and Neuter in Muncie, IN
If your pet isn’t spayed or neutered, a pregnancy is not the only risk they will have to face; they can also be more at risk for certain cancers. Spay and neuter surgeries are good for the Muncie pet population as a whole because of the health benefits they offer, and their ability to prevent unwanted pregnancies and reduce overpopulation. At Care Animal Hospital, we can tell you everything you need to know about spaying/neutering and when to schedule your pet’s surgery.
The Benefits of Spaying and Neutering
Having your pet spayed or neutered at the appropriate time can be highly beneficial to their long-term health. Some of these benefits include:
- The prevention of mammary, ovarian, and uterine cancers (females)
- A lower risk for pyometra, or an infected uterus (females)
- The prevention of prostate and testicular cancers (males)
- Preventing the heat cycle and spotting (females)
- Making pets less likely to risk their safety to roam in search of a mate (males and females)
- Reducing aggressiveness, mounting behaviors, and urine spraying/marking (males)
Easing Your Pet’s Recovery After Spaying or Neutering
When you arrive to pick up your pet after they have had their spay/neuter surgery, we’ll provide you with a list of instructions to make their recovery easier. These instructions include:
- Keeping your pet as calm as possible and confined to a room or crate for as long as your veterinarian recommends
- Taking your pet outside on a leash when they need to go to the bathroom to prevent them from running and jumping
- Protecting your pet’s incision by outfitting your pet with an e-collar, an old t-shirt, or a onesie (ask us about your pet’s options)
- Checking the incision every day for swelling, redness, bleeding, ripped stitches, etc.
- Keeping the incision dry and clean (avoid bathing your pet or letting them anywhere near water)
Contact Care Animal Hospital
If you have any questions about helping your pet recover from their spay/neuter surgery, call us today at 765-284-3000!